1760s breakfast outfit

The second annual Francaise Dinner was held this past Saturday night; it was an absolutely wonderful time, and if you're somewhere in the Philadelphia area next year (or can get to it!), do join us! Lots of fun, lots of punch, lots of excellent costumes.

I'll post a few pictures of the dinner in a little while - I didn't end up taking any myself, so I've got to do a bit of collecting from those who did! I ended up driving home in my breakfast outfit on Sunday, because it's so comfy and I like it so much - and then it was such good weather, I recruited Lil' Sis to come with me to Red Bank Battlefield Park and get some nice pictures of it.


Lil' Sis was a bit negligent in her cap-supervising duties, so it's flipped back in some of the photos, oops. It was breezy down there by the river!
I really am very happy with this outfit - even if I'm going to have to hem all the ties on the waistcoat. They're only pinked, and they're fraying like crazy! I left red fuzzies everywhere I went today. I think it just needs some coordinating mitts, now! Out of the red silk lined in the cream, I think? Or maybe cream lined in red. (I probably won't have occasion to wear this until next year, so they can wait.)

And I'm very fond, indeed, of the silly lappet cap!  (Doily, ahem.) It's made of silk/cotton batiste and cotton lace - the lappets are made of the same lace as the ruffle on the cap, they're just two pieces spliced together, since I could NOT find nice galloon lace in a 3-4" width! And I had to overlap and stitch and snip the straight edges of the lace to make it look halfway decent. Good times.

Comments

  1. Beautiful! I love the red and white together and those big bows on the front. :)

    -Veronica K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That cranberry red is one of my current favorite colors, and I think it looks good with the cream.

      Delete
  2. I love your work, & I gave you a Very Inspiring Blogger award at http://trystancraft.com/costume/2013/04/05/very-inspiring-blogger/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment