1860s bonnets

Worst blogger ever! I didn't make a point of taking photos of my new things at Gettysburg, though...and who cares about the old ones? I had the genius idea of buying a cheapie tripod so I can go out and get my own costume shots, and don't have to depend on my poor family members for them. (And yes...it really has taken that many years for me to think of getting a camera tripod. I am so incredibly astute, you guys.)

Anyway, this weekend is a local costume weekend - 1860s today and a new late-1830s tomorrow that I'm, er, still putting the finishing touches on. So, there shall be pictures of things! Just not tonight, as I have to hem those sleeves.

So I'm going to leave you with a small post on the two spoon bonnets I made for my friends - not specifically for this event, but since the frames have been done for ages, this event lit a fire under my bum to actually finish them! They're both made from a Timely Tresses pattern, which I must take a moment to talk up - I love every pattern I've ever used from them; they go together so nicely! This one is the Mildred Augusta. (The bonnets ought to have blocked tips, but...that sounded like work.)
I absolutely adore how utterly pointless this bonnet style is for any practical purpose! Gives no shade, kind of blocks your hearing, gets knocked off by low door-frames, and just perches there!

Robin gave me leave to make her a really obnoxious bonnet, and I had purple sateen in the stash that really wanted to be a Victorian-hatty-sort-of-thing, which I thought would pair well with orange/pink shot ribbon. As one does. The sateen isn't really correct but none of us are 1860s die-hards, so it's alright. The plaid ties don't match at all and it's fabulous.
Adrienne's is covered with machine-made dupioni - so there are a few more slubs than there really should be, but it's much less slubby than your average dupioni, cheaper than most other bonnet-appropriate silks - and I loved that color! It's trimmed in bits of pink and yellow taffeta.

I got nice pictures of my green and fuchsia "marquee" dress today, so I'll post about that next - after the weekend, I think!


Comments